Monday, November 9, 2009

VA: Senior Project questions

1. what gives you energy?
-Happiness
2. what roles do you take on as a designer?
3. if you had $100,000 and could not spend it on yourself, family, or friends, how would you?
-Start a non-profit design studio. Good design for a good cause.
4. …if you could only spend it on yourself?
-Invest in printing equipment. IE plotters, print presses, etc.
5. if you never had to work again, what would you do with yourself?
-Travel the world and surf. Engage in different cultures to learn as much as possible about them, and try to help with my design techniques.
6. in your mind, what are the most critical needs in the planet going unmet today?
- I would just say people doing other things for people. The act of true kindness, and the acceptance of other peoples differences.
7. what are the most critical needs in this country?
- Jobs for unemployed people.
8. what are the most critical needs in this city?
- Fun things to do, besides going to a bar or bowling.
9. what are the most critical needs in this neighborhood?
- To stop the violence of innocent people/children. Reduce crime.
10. what are your most critical needs?
- Love, happiness & being able to relax.
11. what’s your favorite play activity?
- Board sports, snowboarding, wakeboarding, surfing, longboarding etc.
12. what do you enjoy reading or looking at?
- Extreme sports/ technology
13. what visual things have held your attention for more than a year?
- All things having to do with extreme board sports.
14. what kinds of places are you drawn to?
-Beach, water, mountains.
15. what are you passionate about?
- Board design.
16. what has been your most memorable crit at kcai so far?
- Sophmore year, first crit ever. Very nervous, and anxious to get over with.
17. which project provided your single biggest learning experience?
- I don't know if it was the biggest learning experience, but my favorite project was the Typecon type experimentations. I like the freeness of not having an end product in mind, just being able to work freely to find different techniques in producing form.
18. how was your pre-kcai portfolio different from the one you have now?
-Before I did not fully understand the idea of concept, and alot of my art didn't have a concept behind it. I didn't know any formal guidelines, and pretty much did not know anything about design. I really did not start doing art until my first couple years of college. I did some graphic design classes in high-school but it was NOTHING like what graphic design really is.
19. who do you want to be?
-Myself, and the best that myself has to offer.
20. how would you describe your work process?
-Diligent, and extensive. I feel like I spend way too much time looking at details, and I am a perfectionist so I always feel like something can be improved.
21. how is your design unique?
-I wouldn't say that any design is unique, I feel like design is the collaborative of all free-thinking ideas that came from previous ideas. Maybe some design is unique, but to me it is more about what the message is that it communicates.
22. what design skills are you lacking?
- I feel like sometimes I lack confidence in my own design. Also I lack being able to make critical thoughts about others work, and being able to articulate my thoughts.
23. in what area of graphic design do you still need to learn the most?
-Many things Im sure. I feel like there is so much to graphic design that people overlook, and don't consider when designing. Everyone thinks that graphic designers know ONLY how to work software, and be able to create 'sweet' looking images, but really graphic designers know how to think creatively, and solve problems with this critical thinking.
24. what kind of project will help you learn the most?
- Something that keeps my attention, and something that has been a passion or interest to me.

No comments: