Thursday, December 3, 2009

MX: Portfolio Crit Space

Check it out here!

what you hoped to achieve in its design:
In my portfolio site I wanted to create a unique experience through the use of a grid-like wall of work displayed in a collage like form. I did not want to categorize my work because I wanted it to all be mixed together to get a sense of how I work as a designer. I feel like everything is intertwined in some way, so I wanted to display my design intertwined with my other artwork in a grid like structure. I wanted the work to be easily obtained by the viewer, and for it to be read quick and fast.
what you learned through this process:
Throughout the process of this project it taught me how to think about other types of interaction between the user and an interface design. The idea of an interface being transparent to a user is something that I felt was important to web design and interface design. I also learned some new technical aspects of html and css code, using Jquery.
what you are most proud of:
I am just proud of myself for actually pursuing something that I had no clue of how I was going to build. I feel like I got a better understanding for html code now, and surprised myself when it came to actually getting stuff to work. I feel like I don't hate interface design as much as I used to, and will continue to explore its possibilities.
what you struggled most with:
I had a hard time with some of the functionality of the site, that still is not resolved, but will be in the future. Also I had a hard time with sticking to traditional ways of navigation. I feel like I need to do some user testing, to see how they interact with the images.

2 comments:

meredith adams said...

Hey Ryan
Your idea is great and the interaction is interesting. Both are executed really well. The beginning draws the user in automatically. The bouncing projects pushes the boundaries of the traditional portfolio site with it's interaction and navigation; it's really successful overall with the transitions and movement. The transitions are smooth and work well for the context. I wish there was a slightly more "logical" organization. Maybe there's a way to organize the grid into just media pieces or just print pieces or a theme etc. but overall.... LOVE IT.

Logan Smith said...

Ryan
First off, I really like the monogram you created for yourself! When did you make that? Looks nice.

Your approach is dynamic and really visually appealing. It's not conventional, I think you did well at thinking about using the vertical and horizontal web constraints to make an interesting pattern that isn't just uniform. And besides the left edge dividing your work from your logo, your image goes all the way to the edge which is a great decision since we're so used to seeing narrow scrolling websites.

One question I have for you is where will it go now? It's an interesting format now but how will your work be displayed in its final form? Will it be an issue switching out images? I really hope you are able to come to a solution that allows you to continue to revise your site easily when you'd like to add new work.

I find myself really interested in clicking into each project.

So good job!